Erectile dysfunction (ED), also known as impotence is the inability of a man to get or keep an erection. It is a common problem in men and more than 300 million men around the world suffer from erectile dysfunction. 1 Read on to learn the erectile dysfunction natural treatment options that are available.
Common symptom of erectile dysfunction is reduced sexual desire or libido.
Common causes of erectile dysfunction:
- Hormonal imbalance
- If the brain is unable to connect with the reproductive system then the penis may not function properly.
- stress and anxiety can cause increased heart rate and blood pressure. The uneasiness and tension caused by stress and anxiety can decrease sexual desire. 2
- Depression can also cause similar effects by keeping the person in a bad mood that results in low sexual desire.
- A disease related to the blood vessels (Vascular diseases)such as hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
- Consuming too much alcohol and smoking. 3
- Other causes include damage to the penis due to abnormal structure or damage to the nerves carrying blood to the penis and side effects from medicine.
The standard treatments for erectile dysfunction are:
- Vacuum pump to bring more blood supply towards the penis.
- Medications to improve blood flow (vasodilators) such as Viagra, Cialis, and Levitra.
- Testosterone, a male sex hormone can cause erectile dysfunction if it decreases in the male body. The doctor will prescribe testosterone strips, gels, or tablets to maintain the normal level.
- implants or devices are inserted in the penis to get an erection for patients who don’t respond well to other treatments.
Erectile dysfunction natural treatment options:
- Acupuncture can improve erections by improving blood circulation and relaxing the body. 4
- Jelqing exercise, an Arabic massage technique that involves simultaneously squeezing and stroking the penis from bottom to tip. It should be performed with care to avoid any harm to the blood vessels of the penis.
- Qigong is a Chinese meditation technique which is believed to cure a variety of disease. It involves slow breathing, meditation, and different exercises. 5
- Shilajit: It is largely found in the Himalayan regions and common people call it “Pahar ka pasina” (sweat of the mountains). It is a black-brown substance that contains rock humus, minerals, and organic substances. 6
- Ashwagandha: Researchers have found that ashwagandha contains vitamins and minerals that can boost sex hormones, improve sexual desire, and erections. 9
- Ginseng relaxes the mind and boosts digestion and immunity. Studies have found positive effects of ginseng on erections.
- Tribulus Terrestris releases nitric oxide which relaxes muscles in the penis that helps in proper blood supply to the penis for better erections. 10
- Horny goat weed is an Asian plant that improves immunity, blood flow, hormone balance, and fights tumors. It shows similar effects as aphrodisiac; stimulates sexual desire and improves blood flow to the penis.
- Tongkat Ali is a herb that is found in Malaysia and Singapore. A study found that Tongkat Ali can improve total testosterone levels and muscle strength in men. 11
- Ginkgo biloba: In a study of 30 men, Ginkgo Biloba was found to improve sexual desire, excitement, and orgasm. 12
- Essential oil therapy is known to treat many diseases. You can mix essential oils with other oils, for example, coconut oil and olive oil and then apply on the body for better effect. 13
Inclination towards Erectile dysfunction natural treatment
In conclusion, People are now more inclined towards Erectile dysfunction natural treatment due to the risk of side effects from medicines. However, YOU should never consume any herb or medicine without consulting the doctor because both can cause unwanted side effects.
In addition, most men still don’t talk about erectile dysfunction with a doctor. Erectile dysfunction can occur due to multiple reasons that are discussed above and sometimes it can occur because of other diseases such as diabetes or heart disease.